May 10, 2013

a little nervous

 
I've wanted bees for years. Honestly, I'm not exaggerating, years. I think I took my beekeeping class three years ago, and at that point I was SERIOUS about bees. But for as long as I can remember, the beekeeping pages of my dad's (and then later my own copy) of John Seymour (yes, it's very strange that I enjoyed reading that as a teenager, I know, what can I say?) were among my favorite.

But now that we are one day away from the bees actually arriving, I'm nervous. Because the thing is, after all the reading and classes and videos, I still feel like I have NO IDEA what I'm doing. Actually I know I have no idea what I'm doing. Will and I watched the slightly hilarious DVD that came with our hive and at the end he looked at me and asked "you know how to do all that?"

"Sure!"

"Yeah!"

NO! I do NOT know how to dump 3 pounds of buzzing, stinging, live bees into the hive that may or may not be in the right place in our garden. No I do not know how to make the right sugar solution to feed them while they get established and I DEFINITELY  do not know how to check and see if my colony is healthy. I don't. I've read about it and watched countless videos and asked lots of questions....but still....

Deep Breath.

Nothing like learning on the job, right?