October 12, 2012

reading now

We've had something of a reading revolution around here. A year ago Evelyn wasn't reading at all and Briton read only under duress. This year, the girl is reading in that-reads subtitles and signs and EVERYTHING - kind of way and Briton came home last week declaring that Literacy is his favorite subject in school. As you can imagine, my heart swooned at that just a little bit. He's been reading much, MUCH more all year, but hearing that it's his favorite? I'm still smiling about it.
Yesterday the new Wildwood landed on our doorstep and I don't think any book has been this anticipated in our family since the last time I stood in line at midnight for a Harry Potter. We've been reading The Penderwick Sisters books lately at bedtime and have really enjoyed them and last year we absolutely loved Elizabeth Enright's Melendy Family books, which I would highly recommend to anyone with kids, but Wildwood was different. It was the kind of book that I wanted to read. As in "NO! You cant put the kids to bed tonight! We have to read another chapter!" kind of wanting to read it. Even if you don't have kids I'd recommend this book (now series) because they are wonderful. There were TEARS last night when we got home too late from a school event and then had to do homework making it just way too late to start the book (Evie had already fallen asleep, and we couldn't start without her) I don't think I ever imagined a time when my son would cry over the fact that he couldn't read.
Books that are equally great for kids and adults are rare, I think. But when they do come along it's almost magical. I vividly remember my fifth grade teacher Mr Koep perched on his stool at the front of the class, clearly not wanting to stop while reading The Hobbit to us. We were entranced, all of us, and so was he, although I imagine he had read it several times before. I remember my dad sitting on the edge of the bed, reading one of the Narnia books until I fell asleep and then finding out the next day that he had kept reading, not wanting to stop. And I'll remember, always, sitting on the floor of the kids room in our apartment in New York, reading far longer than I planned, wanting to know if Pru will find her little brother, if the Bandit King will win the day. I hope they do too. And I hope, so hope, that this one holds the same enchantment for us.

What books were like that for you and your parents or kids? I need a list so that we don't have Wildwood withdrawal again when we are done with this one!