October 11, 2012

by the fire

Now that the evenings are coming early, and cold, we've been spending a lot of time curled up around the wood stove, puttering on projects. The kids have taken over the den upstairs in the evening. Coloring, Lego-building, impromptu stuffed animal circuses complete with hand colored tickets and programs and money - in case you want to buy souvenirs, of course. Which leaves downstairs (and the fire) to the grownups.
The chair (which I love) now has a thick, fluffy blanket thrown over it. Perfect for snuggling down under on these cold nights. I'm not the only one who loves it (fancy that) so I generally have to shove kitties and (and sometimes Will) off to the couch, but it's become my go to place for the after dinner hours.
One of our nesting tables is almost permanently next to it now. For tea, and books and scripts for Christmas plays and ereaders and lots of projects. I'm trying my best to pair down my projects, finishing what I've started before I begin something else (which is very, very hard). So right now it's just three that are getting most of my time in those lovely evening hours. Briton's sweater - still not done but getting there.  A pair of socks started long ago for Will which, ahem, got lost in the Virginia to New York move. But that's ok, because it wasn't that cold in New York, it's here he'll really need them anyway. And the beginnings of my first embroidery project. Ornament gifts for friends. If they get done. It's clearly not my forte, but I'm working on it.

How about you? What are you working on during these fall nights?