August 13, 2010

A Good Decade


Ten years ago today, Will and I were married in a very windy ceremony under the slightly-cracked-from-an-earthquake dome of the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. It was so windy, in fact, that only Will, my cousin Bruce who was officiating, and I could hear the vows. My bridesmaids and I also spent a good part of the reception wearing other peoples coats to keep from freezing to death. A bum crashed our wedding although we didn't realize it until we looked through the photos later and came to the conclusion that he wasn't anyone we invited. Which says a lot about how I felt about wedding dress code I guess, I never noticed anything amiss.

It was a great day.

It's hard to believe that we've been married for a decade. It sounds like such a long time. Like we should be older, more dignified. Although, really, I think there is no hope for us on the dignified front, we're just too weird for it.

I don't think, if you would have told me ten years ago today, that by now Will would have his own business, or that I could say that I was a writer in the making money at it sense of the word. I'm sure I wouldn't believe that we would be living in Virginia. But I suppose that's life. Early on Will and I adopted the mantra "you cannot plan, you can only prepare" and that's kind of how we've lived life. Prepare for things to change, prepare for them not to. And be happy either way.

It's been a great decade if I do say so myself. Lots of fun, lots of excitement, many things I never would have predicted and many that I might have guessed at.We have two fabulous kids, a slightly spastic dog, a regal but not super friendly cat and a house that will, I'm sure, one day be done. Maybe.

I wouldn't change a thing.