December 24, 2009

Holiday Baking: the final edition (well, maybe)


The last two days my mom and I have been baking up a storm. Although I love to cook with the kids, it's even more fun to bake with an adult, especially an adult who like to bake as well. My countertops, which have always seemed plentiful, are looking crowded as pans of sugar cookies cool and strips of wax paper hold drying treats. The marshmallows that I made back in August reappeared, this time dipped in chocolate or rolled in toasted marshmallows, or sometimes both. Will's new favorites were made again, this time in larger amounts. Sugar cookies, thumbprint cookies, lemon butter cookies, two kinds of fruitcake, brioche.... the amount of butter used is almost embarrassing. Almost. But not quiet.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, or Happy Winter, or Joyful New Year, or whatever you celebrate. Have a happy one. And eat lots of sweets.